Welcome to your Veda del soul yoga + Ayurveda lifestyle Teacher Training!
Below you will find information to prepare you for the training before day one. This information is designed to help you get started on your journey, but don’t worry, you will receive even more detailed information once the training begins!
We will be sending an email about a week before the training begins with more details about house location, what to pack (in addition to supplies listed below), and other important information.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
Every day of the training will involve some lecture, a lengthy practice, and usually some practice teaching. That’s right, you’ll be teaching each other from day 1! The practices will become more challenging as the training continues, but Ahimsa, non-harming, is the word of the day. Participation is expected in order to receive your certificate, but as long as you are in the room, wide awake, and taking in the information, that counts as participation in our book!
WHAT SUPPLIES DO I NEED?
We recommend shopping small for the following supplies, however they can also be found on Amazon.
- Ayurveda (Idiot’s Guides) by Sahara Rose, required to read before training
- The Yoga Anatomy Coloring Book: A Visual Guide to Form, Function, and Movement by Kelly Solloway, 2018 copy
- This will be used throughout the training, please bring with you
- Living Your Yoga by Judith Lasater
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras interpreted by Georg Feurstein
- Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar
- The Bhagavad Gita interpreted by Eknath Easwaran
- Yoga Sequencing by Mark Stephens
- The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga by Ray Long
- The Yamas and the Niyamas by Deborah Adele
- Non-Violent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg
- The Yoga Tradition by Georg Feuerstein
- Restore & Renew by Judith Lassiter
- Meditations from the Mat by Rolf Gates
- Eat Feel Fresh by Sahara Rose
- Yoga Mat
- 2 blocks
- 1 strap
- 1 blanket
- White top (to wear on graduation day)
- Hot Yoga rug if you tend to slip on your mat
WHAT TO BRING?
- Required student forms on the first day of training
- Change of clothes (you will practice every day, so it’s nice to have a clean change of clothes to change into!)
- Yoga mat
- Required props
- Water (closed top water bottles only please!)
- Training Manual and Morning and Evening Affirmation Journal (you will receive these on your first day!). You will use this every training day so please bring it with you to each session.
- The Yoga Anatomy Coloring Book (see above)
- Notebook/Journal and pen
- Any daily homework assignments.
You do NOT need to bring your other required texts every day, only your YALTT manual, Coloring Book, Affirmation Jounal and notebook/journal.
There will be a specific prop and book needs on days throughout the training. Additional details on these needs will be announced at the end of each day.
WHAT ARE THE HOMEWORK PROJECTS?
Reminder: You will receive MUCH more detailed information on each of these projects during the training. This is an overview so that you know what to expect and so you can get a jumpstart on a few things if you would like! However, please do not submit any homework until after the training is complete. All homework projects are to be submitted at one time via google drive to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Living Yoga Book Report Project – You will read and write book reports on your experience of the following three required books:
Living Your Yoga by Judith Lasater
The Bhagavad Gita interpreted by Eknath Easwaran
The Yamas and Niyamas by Deborah Adele
This is a great project to get working on prior to the start date of the training. These books provide the foundation of much of the theory and mission of our training. They are referenced throughout the training, so the more familiar you are with them the deeper your understanding will be. That being said, if you are unable to read them prior to the training you have until the homework deadline, 9 months from the start date of your training, to complete the project.
- Personal Sadhana Practice Hours and Ayurvedic Dinacharya – Throughout the training we will be learning about the importance of a daily routine and regular yoga practice. You will be required to turn in a log of at least 20 yoga practices that you completed. You’ll also describe what you have incorporated into your Ayurvedic daily routine. It is very important that you have a strong personal practice and commitment to your mat if you wish to teach others.
- A personal vision/mission statement and an overview of your goals. This will be reviewed during your teacher training and you will have time to work on this with the support of your leaders.
- Karma Yoga Class! You’ll be required to teach a donation based yoga class upon graduation. Proceeds can go towards a foundation/charity of your choosing.
All Homework Projects outside of your training schedule will be required for your Veda del Soul Yoga Certification. These projects are due nine months after the first day of your training program. Projects turned in after nine months will be accepted with an extension fee of $300. Projects turned in after one year will only be accepted with approval from teacher training coordinator and may require a retesting fee. These projects are detailed in your YALTT manual and all projects will be reviewed with you in detail during your training. Please save your certification questions for our review together.
Your most important homework is getting on your mat and practicing/reviewing what you learn, and being very familiar with every chapter in your entire manual, as well as the required reading. We encourage you to read the manual fully during your first week if you can so that you may use your time in class for questions that are non-repetitive, or for topics that you would like to learn more about. We also highly encourage you to take time from work and other obligations as much as possible to allow yourself quiet time at night to rejuvenate before the next day of training. Our training days are expansive, long, and full, so we highly recommend that your downtime is for resting and quiet activities. Abhyanga (ayurvedic self-massage) is highly recommended at night due to the physical nature of your program.
WHAT IF I NEED TO MAKE UP HOURS?
No problem! We understand that even the most committed student still has a life outside of teacher training. Regardless of the reason for your absence, even in the case of a medical emergency, in order to graduate you will need to complete all contact hours in the training. If you miss any hours you can make them up by doing private sessions covering similar material with our faculty, or the programs director may allow you to make up the hours by attending one of our workshops that covers similar material. All make-up hours, regardless of the reason for the absence, require an additional cost, but we make every attempt to find the most economical way for you to make up your hours.
Respect the Space:
* Cell phones must be off while you are in the training area. All phone calls should be taken outside the training area. Do not bring your phone into the training space.
* Be kind to the rest of your group and arrive early so that we can start on time! (attendance policy to be reviewed during training)
* All water bottles must have a closed lid on them to prevent spillage.
* Respect the practice, lead instructors, fellow trainees, and yourself. Please be mindful of any fragrances and wear clean clothing.
PEOPLE TO KNOW:
Charlee Austin 500ERYT, Owner of Village Yoga and Veda del Soul Founder
Kennedy Long 200RYT, Village Yoga Studio Manager and Veda del Soul Faculty
Jessica Rienerth 500ERYT, Co-Founder of Village Yoga
Katie Kennis 500ERYT, Co-Founder of Village Yoga
Veda del Soul Faculty
Denise DeCarlo 500RYT, 200ERYT
Olivia Lifsey 500RYT, 200ERYT, YACEP
Ashley Lynaugh 500RYT
Noelle Whittington 500ERYT, YACEP
Allison Broughton, 500RYT, 200ERYT, YACEP
Amy Dougherty, PT